Just Neighbors offers unpaid internships on a rolling basis throughout the year for law students. Interns must commit to a minimum of two days per week (at least 12 hours) for the semester or year. Spanish language skills are preferred but not required. Legal interns take on these responsibilities:
- Conduct initial screening of potential clients (intakes) by phone
- Conduct in-person interviews with first-time clients
- Consult with staff attorneys and conduct follow-up immigration case activities with clients after intake
- Assist clients and staff in preparing documents for immigration applications
- Assist staff in managing client case files and database upkeep
- Work with staff to coordinate and participate in monthly immigration consultation clinics
- Assist with basic office administration
- Translate and interpret, if applicable
Cases include refugee and asylee adjustments, VAWA and U visa applications for victims of domestic violence and other crimes, DACA, and advice and counsel.
Internship applications must include a cover letter and resume.
To apply for this volunteer opportunity, please fill in the form on the Volunteer Questionnaire page.