Other Resources

If you and your family are looking for assistance that Just Neighbors is not able to provide, you may be able to find help from another organization.

Immigration Legal Providers in Northern Virginia

Because of our limited resources as a nonprofit, Just Neighbors is not able to help all the people who contact us for immigration legal assistance. We often refer people to other immigration legal service providers in the northern Virginia area, including these:

Non-immigration Legal Providers in Northern Virginia

If you need legal services not related to immigration (such as divorce, child custody, employment or discrimination issues), you may find help from these providers in the northern Virginia area:

Immigration Legal Services Nationwide

If you are looking for a nonprofit organization outside of northern Virginia that provides free or low-cost immigration legal services, search for one in the National Immigration Legal Services Directory.

If you are trying to find out where your family member or friend is being detained, check the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Online Detainee Locator System.

If you are looking for a private immigration attorney, search for one in the American Immigration Lawyers Association’s Immigration Lawyers Search.

Public Charge Information

Just Neighbors Statement on Public Charge and Instruction on how to Submit a Public Comment to DHS


Know Your Rights Information

Know Your Rights Videos in English

Videos Sobre Conozca Sus Derechos en Español

Print Your Own Card/Imprima Su Propia Tarjeta



Health Insurance for Immigrants

Many immigrants qualify to receive health insurance. The Affordable Care Act (also known as Obamacare) permits individuals who are “lawfully present” in the United States to apply for health insurance as of January 1, 2014. The following is a list of immigrants who are considered “lawfully present” in the U.S. for purposes of the Affordable Care Act. Updated information on who qualifies for the Affordable Care Act is available from the National Immigration Law Center. To sign up for health insurance under the Affordable Care Act, visit HealthCare.gov.

      • Lawful permanent residents (or those with Green Cards)
      • Applicants for lawful permanent residence with approved I-130 / I-140 and pending I-485
      • Refugees
      • Asylees
      • Withholding of removal status
      • Applicants for asylum / withholding of removal, with certain restrictions
      • Temporary protected status
      • Deferred enforced departure
      • Deferred action (except for DACAs)
      • Special immigrant juvenile status
      • VAWA approved applicants
      • T visa holders
      • U visa holders
      • Non-immigrant visa holders who are in status
      • Convention against torture grantees
      • Cuban and Haitian entrants
      • Paroled into the U.S., for at least one year
      • Conditional entrants: pre-1980 asylees
      • Citizens of Micronesia, the Marshall Islands, and Palau
      • LIFE Act applicants with employment authorization documents (EADs) and certain family members
      • Lawful temporary residents
      • Applicants for cancellation of removal
      • Immigrants with order of supervision
      • Registry applicants

Social Services for Refugees and Asylees

If you are seeking social services for refugees and asylees, these organizations may be able to help:

Refugees and asylees have the right to work. For more information, refer to the flier for employers and refugees and asylees from the Office of Special Counsel for Immigration-Related Unfair Employment Practices (OSC).

Resources for DREAMers

To read the “Frequently Asked Questions” about DACA from DHS clinic here

To learn how to apply for a social security card, refer to the flier from the Social Security Administration.

To learn how to get a Virginia driver’s license, refer to the flier from the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles.

This official letter from the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles states that DACA is proof of legal status in the state of Virginia.

To learn how to transfer your credit history to your new social security number, refer to the article called Life After DACA: Obtaining a Social Security Number, Transferring Your Credit History, and Rescinding your ITIN, posted on the website of the Labor Council for Latin American Advancement (LCLAA).

If you change your address, you are required to notify the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services within 10 days of your move. To change your address with Immigration, fill out and submit the AR-11 form.

Scholarships and Financial Aid Guide for Hispanic & Latino/a Students

For general information and resources, visit the Dreamers of Virginia and United We Dream websites.

Resources for Victims of Domestic Violence

To learn how to get protective orders in Virginia, refer to the protective orders guide from the Department of Criminal Justice Services of Virginia.

To receive assistance in your area, visit one of these websites:

Immigration Advocacy in Virginia

To learn about and/or get involved with immigration advocacy, visit the websites of these organizations:

Contact Us

Phone: 703-979-1240
Fax: 703-979-1244
E-mail: info@justneighbors.org
Postal mail:
7630 Little River Tpke #900
Annandale, Virginia 22003