Staff Attorney Position
Position: Just Neighbors seeks a passionate, talented attorney to work on our staff.
How to Apply:
Deadline: Position open until filled. Candidates must email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Dominique Poirier, Director of Legal Services at email@example.com with “Staff Attorney Position” in the subject line.
Who we Are:
Just Neighbors (www.justneighbors.org) is a nonprofit immigration legal service office which provides immigration legal services to low-income immigrants and refugees in northern Virginia. Just Neighbors is an independent non-profit organization founded by members of the United Methodist Church which provides legal services to clients of all faiths and backgrounds. Just Neighbors is a member of National Justice For Our Neighbors, a national non-profit dedicated to providing quality immigration legal services throughout the nation.
- Maintain a robust case load focusing on humanitarian immigration, including VAWA petitions, U Visa, Special Immigrant Juvenile, T Visa, Asylum and some removal work. Work requires meeting with clients for initial consultations and preparing applications for submission to USCIS as well as some court filings and representation before EOIR.
- Coordinate and attend bi-monthly evening and weekend immigration consultation legal clinics.
- Supervise and work with volunteer attorneys and pro bono counsel
- Conduct community outreach presentations on issues surrounding immigration. Some presentations may be in Spanish or languages other than English.
- Assist in administrative office tasks
- Travel weekly to both the main Just Neighbors office in Annandale as well as the satellite office in Herndon for client appointments and follow-up.
- Active bar membership; Virginia preferred but not required
- Excellent attention to detail
- Hard working, flexible, able to carry a heavy caseload and to work as a team member in a close-knit, small office with people of all backgrounds
- Strong public speaking skills
- Passion for immigration, human-rights, and the non-profit sector
- Ability to work with volunteers
- Ability to work extensively with trauma victims
- Spanish speaking preferred
Just Neighbors offers a flexible working environment as well as excellent benefits including generous vacation and holiday leave, health insurance, professional liability insurance, paid bar and AILA dues and a retirement pension plan. Just Neighbors is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applicants of all religions, genders, races, ethnicities, ages, physical abilities and sexual orientations. Salary commensurate with experience.