Staff Attorney Position
Position: Just Neighbors seeks a passionate, talented attorney to work on our staff.
How to Apply:
Deadline: Position open until filled. Candidates must email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Dominique Poirier, Director of Legal Services at email@example.com with “Staff Attorney Position” in the subject line.
Who we Are:
Just Neighbors (www.justneighbors.org) is a nonprofit immigration legal service office which provides immigration legal services to low-income immigrants and refugees in northern Virginia. Just Neighbors is an independent non-profit organization founded by members of the United Methodist Church which provides legal services to clients of all faiths and backgrounds. Just Neighbors is a member of National Justice For Our Neighbors, a national non-profit dedicated to providing quality immigration legal services throughout the nation.
- Maintain a robust case load focusing on humanitarian immigration, including VAWA petitions, U Visa, Special Immigrant Juvenile, T Visa, Asylum and some removal work. Work requires meeting with clients for initial consultations and preparing applications for submission to USCIS as well as some court filings and representation before EOIR.
- Coordinate and attend bi-monthly evening and weekend immigration consultation legal clinics.
- Supervise and work with volunteer attorneys and pro bono counsel
- Conduct community outreach presentations on issues surrounding immigration. Some presentations may be in Spanish or languages other than English.
- Assist in administrative office tasks
- Travel weekly to both the main Just Neighbors office in Annandale as well as the satellite office in Herndon for client appointments and follow-up.
- Active bar membership; Virginia preferred but not required
- Excellent attention to detail
- Hard working, flexible, able to carry a heavy caseload and to work as a team member in a close-knit, small office with people of all backgrounds
- Strong public speaking skills
- Passion for immigration, human-rights, and the non-profit sector
- Ability to work with volunteers
- Ability to work extensively with trauma victims
- Spanish speaking preferred
Just Neighbors offers a flexible working environment as well as excellent benefits including generous vacation and holiday leave, health insurance, professional liability insurance, paid bar and AILA dues and a retirement pension plan. Just Neighbors is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applicants of all religions, genders, races, ethnicities, ages, physical abilities and sexual orientations. Salary commensurate with experience.
Development Associate Position
Position: Just Neighbors seeks a full-time development associate to grow its fundraising and communications capacity in order to expand its immigration legal services to serve more clients.
How to Apply:
Deadline: Position open until filled. Candidates must email a cover letter, resume, salary expectations to Erin@justneighbors.org with “Development Associate” in the subject line.
Who We Are:
Just Neighbors (www.justneighbors.org) provides immigration legal services to low-income immigrants and refugees of all faiths and nationalities, especially those who are most vulnerable. It was founded in 1996 to develop a practical response to the legal challenges immigrants face in the U.S. As a community-based 501(c)(3) organization located in Annandale, Just Neighbors has provided immigration legal services to thousands of low-income immigrants and refugees of all faiths and nationalities in Northern Virginia for over 22 years. Through its direct services and collaborative strategies, Just Neighbors empowers immigrants to build their own capacity and resources to become more self-sufficient, stable, and independent. Just Neighbors accomplishes its work efficiently and cost-effectively with a staff of seven and more than 200 volunteers. In addition to direct legal services, Just Neighbors educates community leaders, organizations, and potential clients through presentations about immigration law and policies.
Fundraising and Development:
- Together with the development committee, develop strategies to initiate and meet aggressive fundraising goals
- Develop, implement and track the development plan to achieve the organization’s financial goals
- Successfully implement current and new fundraising campaigns throughout the year
- Steward current donors to ensure renewal, and identify prospects who can be cultivated to support the organization through sponsorship, unrestricted and programmatic gifts (includes implementation of cultivation and recognition activities/events for sponsors).
- Work closely with the Executive Director to identify and solicit new potential donors
- Fully utilize the donor management system (Neon CRM) including creating regular reports and analyzing donor/donation analytics
- Oversea donation entry, accuracy of database and donor appreciation and acknowledgement letters
- Provide quarterly fundraising reports to the development committee and board
- Serve as a member of the development committee which meets monthly
- Assist the operations director with grant proposals when necessary
- Work with the development committee to plan and implement new fundraising events
- Be available several evenings or weekends during the month for fundraising events or committee meetings
- Be willing to travel to other parts of Virginia if needed for fundraising/development events
- Work closely with the volunteer coordinator to thank and further engage volunteers
- Regularly attend outside fundraising and development workshops and partner meetings to expand fundraising efforts
- Maintain ongoing relationships and communications with just Neighbors fundraising partners (United Way/CFC, Catalogue of Philanthropy, ACT of Alexandria, etc.)
- Develop and implement new fundraising strategies directed at former clients
- Expand development efforts to include corporate giving
- Explore potential funding streams (foundations, major donors, individuals, corporations, government, etc.), as well as new or creative funding partnership opportunities (sponsorships, advertising, awards etc.)
Marketing and Communications
- Convey the mission, vision, and impact of the work of Just Neighbors in a compelling manner
- Develop and send out monthly e-newsletter about program successes, opportunities and events
- Work closely with the marketing committee to manage development communications through social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube) and the website in order to grow online development communications
- Fully implement the marketing plan and develop new marketing materials in order to grow the brand and visibility of Just Neighbors in the community
- Develop new development communications strategies to support the growth of Just Neighbors throughout Virginia
- Regularly interview former clients and take pictures for success stories
- Identify and work with volunteers to create video clips and YouTube videos featuring the work of Just Neighbors
- Manage all development and marketing/communications volunteers and interns, including committee members, writers, designers, photographers, filmmakers, and donations entry volunteers
Other Duties as Assigned
Bachelor’s degree with three to five years of experience in nonprofit fundraising strategies and implementation. Knowledge of fundraising principles, ethics, and trends in fundraising. Experience with successfully carrying out large and small-scale fundraising events. Proven track record of work in the development field around donor cultivation, stewardship, tracking, and prospecting. Commitment to the mission and culture of Just Neighbors.
Skills needed to perform the job:
- Self-sufficient, critical thinking
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Excellent organizational and communications skills (both oral and written)
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Attention to detail, precision, accuracy
- Professional demeanor
- Enthusiasm and dependability
- Competency with technology
- Demonstrated skill in Microsoft Office Suite products, CRM software, WordPress and basic design software
- Ability to flourish in a challenging, but community-driven, environment
- Flexibility, creativity, enthusiasm, and a sense of humor
Just Neighbors provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or gender.