If you are interested in serving as a volunteer or intern, please visit our Volunteer page for more information and submit the Volunteer Questionnaire form.
We are hiring a Staff Attorney!
Position: Just Neighbors seeks a passionate, talented staff attorney to provide immigration legal services to immigrants and refugees in the rural parts of Virginia. Position will be based out of our main Annandale office, but requires travel.
How to Apply: Deadline: Position open until COB September 27, 2019. Candidates must email a cover letter, resume, list of references (minimum three) and writing sample to Dominique Poirier, Director of Legal Services at email@example.com with “Staff Attorney Position” in the subject line.
Who we Are: Just Neighbors (www.justneighbors.org) is a nonprofit immigration legal service office which provides immigration legal services to low-income immigrants and refugees in Virginia. Our dedicated legal staff focuses almost exclusively on humanitarian-based immigration. Just Neighbors is a member site of National Justice For Our Neighbors, a national non-profit dedicated to providing quality immigration legal services throughout the nation.
- Maintain a robust case load focusing on humanitarian immigration, including VAWA petitions, U Visa, Special Immigrant Juvenile, T Visa, Asylum, Removal Defense, as well as a limited number of family-based immigration cases. Work requires meeting with clients for initial consultations and preparing applications for submission to USCIS (including the Arlington Asylum Office) as well as court filings and representation before EOIR.
- Coordinate and attend evening and/or weekend immigration consultation legal clinics, focusing on clinics in the rural areas of Virginia; specifically, the Eastern Shore, Staunton, Harrisonburg, and Lynchburg.
- Supervise and work with volunteer attorneys and pro bono counsel; Develop and foster relationships with volunteer attorneys and local pro bono counsel in rural areas of Virginia.
- Conduct community outreach presentations in rural areas or locally on issues surrounding immigration. Some presentations may be in Spanish or languages other than English.
- Assist in administrative office tasks
- Position is based out of our main Annandale office but requires travel to satellite offices in rural parts of Virginia. Qualifications:
- Active bar membership; Virginia preferred
- Spanish fluency required
- Excellent attention to detail
- Hard working, flexible, able to carry a heavy caseload and to work as a team member in a close-knit, small office with people of all backgrounds
- Strong public speaking skills
- Passion for immigration, human-rights, and the non-profit sector
- Ability to work with volunteers
- Ability to work extensively with trauma victims
- Valid driver’s license
Just Neighbors offers a flexible working environment as well as excellent benefits including generous vacation and holiday leave, health insurance, professional liability insurance, paid bar and AILA dues and a retirement pension plan. Just Neighbors is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applicants of all religions, genders, races, ethnicities, ages, physical abilities and sexual orientations. Beginning salary is $54,000, but negotiable if applicant has years of relevant experience practicing humanitarian-based immigration.