If you are interested in serving as a volunteer or intern, please visit our Volunteer page for more information and submit the Volunteer Questionnaire form.
We are hiring a Staff Attorney!
Position: Just Neighbors seeks a passionate, talented staff attorney to provide immigration legal services to immigrants and refugees in Virginia. Position will be based out of our main office in Annandale but may require work in our Herndon satellite office and/or in rural parts of Virginia.
How to Apply:
Deadline: Position open until COB December 31, 2019. Candidates must email a cover letter, resume, list of references (minimum three) and writing sample to Dominique Poirier, Director of Legal Services at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Staff Attorney Position” in the subject line.
Who we Are:
Just Neighbors (www.justneighbors.org) is a nonprofit immigration legal service office which provides immigration legal services to low-income immigrants and refugees in Virginia. Our dedicated legal staff focuses almost exclusively on humanitarian-based immigration. Just Neighbors is a member site of National Justice For Our Neighbors, a national non-profit dedicated to providing quality immigration legal services throughout the nation.
- Maintain a robust case load focusing on humanitarian immigration, including VAWA petitions, U Visa, Special Immigrant Juvenile, T Visa, Asylum, Removal Defense, as well as a limited number of family-based immigration cases. Work requires meeting with clients for initial consultations and preparing applications for submission to USCIS (including the Arlington Asylum Office) as well as court filings and representation before EOIR.
- Coordinate and attend evening and/or weekend immigration consultation legal clinics held in Annandale, Herndon or the rural areas of Virginia; specifically, the Eastern Shore, Staunton, Harrisonburg, and Lynchburg.
- Supervise and work with volunteer attorneys and pro bono counsel; Develop and foster relationships with volunteer attorneys and local pro bono counsel in Virginia.
- Conduct community outreach presentations on issues surrounding immigration. Some presentations may be in Spanish or languages other than English and maybe during evening/weekend hours.
- Assist in administrative office tasks
- Position is based out of our main Annandale office but may require travel to satellite offices.
- Active bar membership; Virginia preferred
- Spanish fluency preferred
- Excellent attention to detail
- Hard working, flexible, able to carry a heavy caseload and to work as a team member in a close-knit, small office with people of all backgrounds
- Strong public speaking skills
- Passion for immigration, human-rights, and the non-profit sector
- Ability to work with volunteers
- Ability to work extensively with trauma victims
Just Neighbors offers a flexible working environment as well as excellent benefits including generous vacation and holiday leave, health insurance, professional liability insurance, paid bar and AILA dues and a retirement pension plan. Just Neighbors is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applicants of all religions, genders, races, ethnicities, ages, physical abilities and sexual orientations.