Just Neighbors depends heavily on volunteers to do casework and perform the daily operations of the office. Without office volunteers, Just Neighbors would not be able to serve nearly as many clients as we do. Tasks generally assigned to volunteers include:
- Answering phones
- Regularly completing client phone intakes in English and Spanish
- Working with clients and staff to prepare documents for immigration applications
- Performing basic office administrative duties
- Assisting with social media
- Conducting outreach
- Helping with oral and written translations
Office volunteers must commit to at least one half-day during office hours (Tuesday-Friday, 9:00AM-5:00PM).
Spanish speakers are strongly preferred.
Why I Volunteer
"I had the opportunity to work with a family who was seeking asylum based on gang-based violence in their home country. I worked with the family to get their declarations written for their case to be filed. It was very fulfilling to do work that I knew could potentially change the course of a family’s history forever."
-Chidiuto Cobb, Law Student, Howard University School of Law