Undergraduate and Masters Internships
The Just Neighbors Immigration Internship is an introduction to the legal field and working with immigrants. Interns are responsible for:
- Conducting client phone intakes
- Working with clients and staff in preparing documents for immigration applications
- Performing basic office administrative duties
- Outreach through social media, community fairs, and events
Spanish language and social media skills preferred.
The Just Neighbors Development and Communications Internship is a great introduction for students interested in the nonprofit sector. Interns will be responsible for the daily communications and development tasks of a nonprofit, which includes:
- Peer-to-peer fundraising and individual donor fundraising efforts
- Grant writing
- Marketing and communications
- Volunteer and event coordination
- Updating Customer Relationship Management (CRM) platforms
- Cultivating donor relationships
- Website maintenance
- Social media management
Working knowledge of WordPress, Canva, and Adobe products preferred, but not required.
Law Student Internships and Externships
Unpaid law student internships and externships are offered during the summer and throughout the academic year. Interns and externs are responsible for multiple steps of the immigration process, including:
- Conducting initial client intakes and screening by telephone
- Interviewing first time clients in-person and gathering relevant information for case submission
- Consulting with staff attorneys to determine case strategy
- Completing follow-up casework prior to submission to USCIS/EOIR
- Assisting clients and staff in preparing documents/forms for immigration applications
- Contacting various law enforcement, congressional offices, and immigration agencies in the course of client representation
- Translating and/or interpreting, if applicable
Cases include VAWA, U visa applications for victims of domestic violence and other crimes, Trafficking, Asylum, Bond Motions for detained immigrants, DACA applications, Special Immigrant Juvenile, family petitions, refugee and asylee adjustments, consular processing, and advice and counsels.
Just Neighbors is a collegial, fast-paced office which has an excellent mentorship and volunteer attorney program and we are well-placed to provide guidance and mentorship to law interns/externs looking to gain expertise in immigration law, work one-on-one with clients, and work in a collaborative environment. Applicants should be motivated, detail-oriented, able to work independently and collaboratively, and have a passion for immigration or human rights issues.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Mary Elizabeth Maffei, Senior Staff Attorney, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why I Volunteer
"I had the opportunity to work with a family who was seeking asylum based on gang-based violence in their home country. I worked with the family to get their declarations written for their case to be filed. It was very fulfilling to do work that I knew could potentially change the course of a family’s history forever."
-Chidiuto Cobb, Law Student, Howard University School of Law